Created on January 1st 1946 at Khouribga (Morocco), it provided basic training missions until April 1961, when it was disbanded. It was equipped between 1946 and 1961 with Nord-1002s (1946-1949), T-6 Harvard Mk II/ SNJ-4 and -5s (1946-1961), Goëlands (1946-1950), Wellingtons (1946-1950), SV4C Stampes (1948-1957) and MS-733s (1957-1961).
Between 1958-1961 the 51S is exclusively equipped with MS-733s and SNJ-4s. This squadron provided training of the common-core syllabus of all French Navy pilots.
This training was composed by two phases :
Previous to 1958, the advanced training was provided by the 52S. This unit had been disbanded and amalgamated into the 51S. That's why, we could see SNJs still wearing 52S insignias after 1958 on the fuselage.
At the conclusion of their training within the 51S, the student-pilots were advised to specific school according to the French Navy needs, to their aptitudes or wishes :
Since 1961, the French Air Force has provided training missions at Salon and Cognac for reserve officers and NCOs. A Navy section was created in those Air Force schools. The squadron was re-born in 1985 at NAS Rochefort in order to provide initial training flight and pilot admission testing (first step). It was disbanded in September 1996. The Cap-10Bs and MS-880 Rallyes of the unit were gathered within the 50S.
It provided initial training flights and pilot admission testing (first step).
[SQUADRON MENU] [MAIN MENU] [HOME]