Ju-188E of the 10S squadron seen at Le Luc airfield. (J. Mutin)
TWIN-ENGINED TRANSPORT AIRCRAFT
The Ju 188 was a development of the Ju 88, intended as a interim aircraft pending introduction (that never came) of more advanced bombers. It had a redesigned nose, longer wings, a broad-chord tail fin and extended stabilizers. Depending on the version, it was powered by BMW 801 radials or Jumo 213 in-line engines. The S and T models, which had pressure cabins and no defensive armament, were the basis of the Ju-388. 1, 036 were built, the majority D and F reconnaissance versions.
Studied in order to replace the Ju-88, the bomber Ju-188 made its first flight in January 1943. Until 1944, more than 1 000 examples were built in various variants. After the armistice, five examples (Ju-188Es) were repaired by the SNCASE and used by the 10S squadron based at Le Luc airfield. They took part in radioguided bombs' tests made by Germany and France. They were equipped with two BMW 801D-2 of 1 700 hp.
[AIRCRAFT MENU] [MAIN MENU] [HOME]